Don't worry, squeamish readers... this post has nothing to do with diapers! In fact, its a little bit of bragging about my genius son and the huge burst of language development that he has been going through recently. OK, its pretty common at this age for kids to start learning new sounds and words, so perhaps my little man is just cruising along the developmental path on which he belongs, but its quite amazing to watch anyway! We just rounded the curve to 17mo old, and there has been an explosion of words in our world! I am having so much fun talking with my toddler!
He's just started putting 3+ words together ... I think he's been trying to get me to understand this for a bit longer, but slow mommy just thought it was gibberish. So far, all of his sentences start with "I want", go figure. "I want dog" when we see a dog at the park (how come I already know that soon that will turn into him asking for his own dog? I used to joke that his first sentence would be "Mommy can we get a dog?"- little did I know how close I would be)... "I want shoe ON", or today, "I want mama shoe, I want mama shoe ON"... the kid wants me in shoes day and night!
Now lets talk about the stage I am not looking forward to - the Monkey Boy Mister No Fear Too Big for his Britches Daredevil climbing out of his crib. Yep, friends, the day has come... today in fact. I thought he was asleep, but instead he was plotting his escape. I imagine it started a while back, him waking up quietly and hanging contently in his crib... mommy thinking he's being a nice boy allowing her a few minutes to wake up before he demands to be let "down, please".... but really he was trying out new methods of escape. He landed with a loud and harsh thump into a basket of toys. He was more frightened (hello, join the club!) than hurt, and he talked about it for a while. He never did get that nap. I took the crib apart searching for the next lower setting, and finding that there is not one. I think our solution will be to turn the crib with the front facing the wall, since the sides and back are a bit taller - at least until I am ready to attempt the toddler bed. I don't think he'll attempt to climb out again immediately after the scare today, but I do expect this is just the beginning of the thrilling adventures of the great crib escape. Fun times ahead, folks, stay tuned....
No comments:
Post a Comment