Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Big, or Big?

Last weekend, I took Z to a local baseball game with some friends. On the way there, we had a conversation that sort of threw me for a loop. We had a little discussion about talking back to mommy.... prompted, of course, by some two-year-old back talk.

But the way the conversation is going, I realize he's confused and I'm sort of at a loss to explain it... I try explaining to him that I'm his mommy, and he's a child (all the while feeling like I'm talking my way into a hole), and when mommies tell their children things, they have to listen to them, always.

Z: (now not sassy, but confused) I'm NOT a child, I'm big, RIGHT, mom? YOU said I was a big boy!

M: You are a big boy, yes, but you are also a child, and mommy is a grown-up.

Z: No, you're big and I'm big too. We're BOTH big, RIGHT, mom?

M: We're not the same, honey - grown ups are bigger than kids.

Z: Maayyybe we ARE the same.

M: No, we're not. And you have to listen to mommy.

Z: I'm Z and you're mommy?

M: Yes, that's right.

Z: And you're Z and I'm mommy?

M: No, you're just Z, and I'm just mommy.

Z: Oh, and we're going to a baseball game with our friends?

M: Yes, we are. We'll be there soon. Would you like your water?

Z: Yes, please.

Hm - did he get it? He still does some back talking, but he's getting better at recognizing it (or at least he's getting better at recognizing my mean-mommy looks). I'm still a first-timer here, and I'm never sure if the drawn-out conversations end up losing the point or not. I guess time will tell?

No comments: