Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Allergy Specialist

I was able to take Z to a pediatric allergist to confirm his peanut allergy and do some additional tests. I felt much better talking to a specialist, and he was really great and spent a lot of time answering all of my questions, and reassuring me.

It turns out that denial or opposition can't change allergies, and the little guy will not be enjoying peanut butter sandwiches any time soon, if ever. Good thing he loves almond butter! Now we just need to work on not calling it peanut butter, and I need to teach him that he cannot have regular peanut butter... I figure the earlier I start pounding that in his head, the less likelihood he'll be given an epi shot the first day of kindergarten (knock on wood).

Cat dander didn't show results - and since Z has no real symptoms, we didn't do anything to confirm it this time and he'll be checked again when we return early next year. So he is again allowed to make futile attempts to pet Lola, Auntie V's kitty.

He was so brave and impressively well behaved at the appointment and got lots of attention from the staff in the office. They tested him for 18 allergens so he had to get poked with a tiny little needle to scratch the surface of his skin 18 times and he barely even flinched. It did take me a week to finally get the ink they used to mark them scrubbed off his back, though... why don't they use Crayola, I wonder?

He weighed in at 34.8lbs and I have no idea how tall because they recorded it in the metric system which sadly means nothing to me.

No comments: