Friday, March 19, 2010

Worry Free and Three

Z just asked me "Mommy, what time is it?". I thought that was the strangest question for a 3 year old to ask. What on earth does he have to worry about in relation to the time? He's never asked me that before. I told him "Its 1:16" Then, enlightenment... "But, is it SNAAAACK time?!". Yes, that's more like it. No worries about time, after all, which is evident in how long it takes him to, say, put on his shoes or walk from the front door to the car.

Why does age three seem so much older than age 2? He's so proud to be three, I can be nothing but happy and proud too.



He's still learning so much and being so independent. He's evolved from the stubborn "I can do it BY MYSELF!" petulance (when he really couldn't do much by himself), to "I can do it Mommy, watch!" while I watch in awe that he does in fact know how to unlock the door, or buckle his carseat, or read off the letters on a street sign. Though we still have the moments of him doing stuff by himself that ends up needing a clean-up crew.

What to say? He's still smart, sweet, and stubborn. He still has an incredibly loud way of showing his dissapproval, but equally matched is his charm and charisma that draw people to him and that make me want to spend my hours squeezing and kissing his little face, and making him laugh that wonderful, infectious laugh of his that brings the most amazing crinkly-eyed smile that you've ever seen. Ever.

I wanted to start him in preschool last fall. He was ready, he was a little sponge learning his letters and sounds and numbers and talking about adding and taking away and as much as we both love love love his daycare family, I thought he would be also love a place that offered pre-school curriculum. Then I found the pre-school I fell in love with but they don't take kids until they are three. So I wait until next month to find out if they will have a spot for him this fall. I hope hope hope they do. If he gets in now, he'll be able to continue to their elementary school and I will be so happy. Its FREE, and I love their philosophy and style. I thought I'd be super dissapointed that he wasn't starting sooner, but I'm actually very happy. He gets to spend his summer with his friends, playing in Ms. T's backyard sprinklers and water table and riding bikes and finding bugs and coloring and just being three. And what else do you really need, when you're three?

No comments: