Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Its Almost Party Time

Those who know me know I LOVE to plan parties. I'm not necessarily great at making it all come together, but I do love to plan them and talk about them and throw them!

Its hard to believe that Z is going to be turning THREE this weekend. I can't wait to celebrate!

We're having his party at ArtBeast (surprised? yes, its obvious we heart this place). For those who don't know, ArtBeast is a non-profit children's art studio where kids roam free to play and create. Its amazing and makes it even better that it supports a great cause. I've invited people to participate in a diaper drive in lieu of a bringing a birthday gift. Z has plenty of toys. I mean, there are always a bazillion new toys, books, puzzles, etc. that I want him to have, but I am curbing my tendencies to go overboard in an effort to avoid teaching him that live is all about things.

I don't think he'll notice that he gets no (or few) gifts. I've explained that we are doing a diaper drive, but since I've never really focused on "birthday = presents, Christmas = presents, etc, he's not even talked about gifts. So far, when he talks about his birthday is more about the PEOPLE that will be there. And, of course, cake and ice cream. :) There's always the chance we'll have a slight melt-down if someone makes a big deal about presents, but at this point it appears to be a non-issue. And, as he gets older I hope that he will gain something from placing an importance on giving back.

For me, birthdays are so much more about celebrating the person, their life, and their relationships. For Z's party, we'll have a birthday circle where we all sit down and pass around pictures of the birthday kid for each year of his life (note to self - find pictures!), and I will say one or two things about him during those years. His friends will have a chance to say something about him on his special day. These are mostly 2-4 year olds, so I don't expect too much in that respect before the circle falls apart and kids move on to their craft - making magic wands.

Until a week ago, I was sure that we'd be eating a Frosty the Snowman cake (yes, he's still singing it and asking to watch it) per Z's request. But he's moved on to ask for zoo animals instead. So, I'm focusing it on penguin cupcakes... pictures to come after the party. He adores penguins and is rarely far away from his three favorite stuffed versions, Spark, Pepper and Tuck (he named them himself). I found an easy (and VERY cute!) design and I'm excited to make them (hopefully with some help from Auntie V!). And somewhere along the line, people stopped serving ice cream at birthday parties. What is that all about?! I know its not the most convenient food to feed toddlers, but I am officially bringing ice cream back.

I can't wait for this special day and will definitely be posting pictures!

No comments: