I'm not always good at following my own advise. I've been looking forward to Z starting preschool for as long as I could remember. I've looked forward to watching him grow and achieve and learn... he has shown such a passion for learning and understanding things and I looked forward to giving him more resources and outlets for that. I am so happy he is in the school he is at.... grateful for friends who pointed me in the Montessori direction, and grateful that I was able to get him in the school. And hoping that in two years, he will be able to move on to the K-8 school that is attached (as a public charter school, enrollment is based on a lottery!).
So, the day finally came. Lunchbox, backpack, uniforms, new socks and undies were purchased, washed, waiting. Z and I had talked about school for weeks. He was ready and excited, a little silly, and looked oh-so adorable. Time for his first day of school!
We pulled up to the excitement of the first day of school multiplied by 20 preschoolers and a whole mess of elementary schoolers. It was Z's first time being on campus and he took it all in....
Still excited, he walked in, met his teacher, found his cubby and checked out the classroom. To his amazement, he found out the class had pets! Hermit crabs and a turtle named Clover which he learned he gets to keep for a weekend during the year.
After that, any hesitation was gone. He was pointed in the direction of the playground and was off!
I planned on sticking around a bit, but he was doing so well I figured I better take advantage and let him move on with his first day of school. I thought he might be a little clingy, but when he understood I'd be back to pick him up a little later, just like at daycare, he just asked if he could watch me go. He stood at the window with a big smile and a big wave.
I'm so proud of him!
1 comment:
Great advise your always giving, although it made me cry to read your post, It wont stop me. <3 M
Post a Comment