I never fooled myself that my son's perfectly flawless face (yes, I do wear my mommy goggles) would remain unscathed forever... I did, however, hope he would be old enough to tell a story about his scars firsthand. Instead, friends, he will hear it from me year after year, I'm sure, until it becomes his own.
Yesterday, I had the moment every mom will experience at some point in their lives - the dreaded phone call where you KNOW something is not right. I was packing up my purse before I even answered the call telling me to please pick up my little boy, and, um, he may need a couple of stitches. A new piece of me took over from this point - an outwardly calm person, planning the quickest route and preparing for the worst and most realistic scenarios, preparing the questions I knew the doctor would ask.... Inwardly, I shook, praying I would not have to watch my baby boy be stitched back together.
It was hard walking in and seeing my little man with a gaping cut on his head, even if he was smiling and happy to see me. "Mama, ouwie, eyebrow, ouwie" was my greeting. OK, so you may think I'm being overly dramatic... really, he's fine. He's more than fine, he's beautiful and tough and resilient. He just has an almost 1" cut through his left eyebrow, straight up and down, right in the center. I thought for sure it would need stitches too, but we brought him to his pediatricians office and they gave a less traumatic option - derma-bond. Basically, the doctor super glued my child's eyebrow back together, holding it shut so as to hope for a smaller scar.
![]() |
| From 18 - 24 mo |
Tough-as-nails, he chatted happily with the nurse and doctor as they cleaned his wound, and only squirmed a bit when the glue came into contact with his "ouwie". It looks so much better through the derma-bond and after being closed up.... though it was not extremely deep, it was really wide and for a while there I though he would be living with 3 eyebrows for life.
![]() |
| From 18 - 24 mo |
And so, it starts.... Be cautious, little one, this mama can only handle so much!
![]() |
| From 18 - 24 mo |



No comments:
Post a Comment