One of the things that is so cool about being a parent, besides being the boss of someone by default, is getting to carry on traditions from your childhood, and make new traditions of your own. I believe that family traditions are a wonderful way to reinforce the connection we all have, as family, with one another. They give me a sense of security, something to look forward to, and something to make memories of.
Sometimes, they are they days where special rules apply, and sometimes they are days where the regular rules don't apply at all. I remember loving tearing into Christmas stocking candy before breakfast was even thought about, staying up until the last possible minute on Christmas Eve to watch the sky for a certain red glow. Sitting at a huge table with my mouth watering but knowing it was NOT OK to eat until everyone sat down at my Grandma's Thanksgiving feast. Gluing hearts onto a paper sack in anticipation for Valentines from my classmates. Baking cookies with my mom. Finding a basket of goodies, and always a new outfit, at the breakfast table on Easter morning.
As the holidays approach, and Z-man is getting old enough to participate, I am really excited to involve him in some of the traditions I grew up with, and especially to start making traditions of our own. I hope its a great way to introduce community service to him. I hope when he grows up and has children of his own, he will have lots of loving, warm, and funny stories to tell them as he carries on our traditions. I hope I give him a good foundation for making some of his own, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment