My name is the Mommy, and its been 24 days since I've taken the binkie away from my baby. Light my candle.
And, as I suspected, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. OK, that's sort of contradictory but nevertheless, we are binkie-free and drama-free - who'd have thought?! It was an easy addiction to get over, after all.
Little Einstein is learning to fall asleep without his crutch, and slowly he's starting to do so in less than 2 hours. The warm weather lately helps with that, since I can run him ragged outside during the day so he's worn out at bedtime. He's doing great and has had minimal meltdowns - and none at all after the first 3 or 4 days. He's finally catching up with his sleep.
On day 1, I started explaining to him that at bedtime he was going to sleep without his binkie. I told him he was getting bigger and didn't need it anymore. He declared that his binkie was old, and needed to be thrown away. Good thing, otherwise I might have caved on that first night. But it was trash day, so I knew there was no going back. Its funny to watch his logic.... he acknowledged that the garbage truck came and took his binkie away. But later, when he was wanting it, asked me if the garbage truck was coming back to bring him a new binkie. :)
His bedtime ritual now consists of a little more cuddling, all of his beloved blankets, and several stuffed animals that seem to comfort him. He doesn't have one in particular one he has to sleep with, but just having a few around make him happy. And he now asks for "the Rock-a-Bye Baby song" every night, several times, and our Lullaby song. After a couple songs, I tell him that I'll sing one more, then its time to go to sleep. And do you know that my little angel will listen to the song, and then say "Ganks [thanks]! Goodnight, mommy."!
I'm so proud of him, and excited to see him grow up in these little ways. Even though its a tough being two, its really something watching him go through it and being there for him as he figures it all out. Its totally worth the tough times.
Remind me of that in a few weeks, please, when I convert his crib into a toddler bed and he has freedom at bedtime1
No comments:
Post a Comment