Friday, April 17, 2009

The Scary One

Sad or funny, I'm not sure yet. I think a little bit of both.

Little man was watching his favorite show (Super Why!) and in this episode, the Super Readers were in the story Peter Rabbit. As soon as they mentioned Peter Rabbit, Little Einstein said "Woooohhh, that's the scary one!".

Um, we're talking about a PBS show for preschoolers... scary?

I recalled a week or so ago when this episode was on, he ran into the room I was in saying that it was scary, but I didn't really notice what it was that made him think that. Today, I watched it with him and realized that Mr. McGregor sounded a bit gruff (in what I think was an attempt to sound incredulous, but that's hard to pair with appropriate facial expressions on a cartoon character made in the likeness of a paper doll). But, just a few minutes after his initial appearance, he breaks out into tears of joy. I managed to get the little guy to watch it through the end and not be afraid of the old gardener.

What struck me as slightly funny is that Z uses the words "scared" and "scary" interchangeably... both "I scared McGregor" (I'm scared of Mr. McGregor) and "I scary that harmer [farmer]" make perfect sense and mean the same thing. And also that they never call Mr. M. a farmer, but my kid is determined that any old guy with a beard, hat and overalls shall be called a "harmer".

Sometimes he'll see a harmer, and then ask me "hey, where's the dell?". Um, I know the song but I have no idea what a dell is. For now, "I don't know" is a sufficient answer (which is met with his response.... "I don't know, too").

No comments: