Saturday, April 24, 2010

Soccer Try-Outs

As in, we're trying out the Tot Soccer program through the city parks and rec. Its basically like a soccer camp for beginners where the kids learn the basics. I signed Z up for one of the 4 week sessions (meeting once a week for 45 minutes) as a trial. I knew he wouldn't participate the whole time, but one thing I have learned from our year of Kindermusik is that even if kids don't do everything, they still get something out of being there. So last Monday, we showed up ready for some fun and prepared for anything.

Lesson number one: don't start a new activity with your child when said child is drastically short on sleep.

Lesson number two: avoid the parents with obvious red flags for being unfriendly, rude and judgemental.

Lesson number three: even if you really want to give up after having to leave halfway through the first class with a screaming three year old over your shoulder, its probably a good idea to try again next week.

All in all, it wasn't that horrible for his first organized sports adventure. The first half was fun. Little man was excited about his accomplishments and stayed with the coach, following directions. Some of the time he sat on his ball and watched, and sometimes he forgot to stop at the cones but he seemed to be enjoying himself. Some parent participated is required, and the rest of the time I just watched in pride from the sidelines. It all sort of fell apart when they stopped for a water break. Z had a serious meltdown and all attempts to calm him down were in vain so we cut our losses and bailed.

Hopefully this Monday will be better. Maybe we'll even make it 30 minutes through this time, you never know! I will wait until the end of the session to decide if we sign up for another 4 weeks. It will all depend on how much fun it is for Zman. And while he was one of the biggest kids out there last week, he was by far the youngest of the 3 year olds so its entirely possible he's just not quite ready. At this point, I'm not seeing a spot guaranteed on the US Men's team but if we can get out and move our bodies and learn a few things its certainly a win for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! Thanks for sharing all these fun adventures with the rest of us!