It saddens me to have to write that a close family friend from my childhood, Rosemary, passed away two weeks ago. Its been a week since the memorial service. Her passing has me a bit melancholy... a little out of sorts. As much as I know death is something I have no control over, and while her passing was not a surprise, I feel that its simply unfair. And the world will miss her.
As I sort through the sadness, I am also inspired. I think those of us who had the pleasure of knowing Rosemary can keep her spirit alive by embracing the wonderful things the gave to this world. For me, Rosemary is the epitome of "good with children" and I hope that I absorbed even the tiniest amount of joy, love, and grace that she had with little people, and I'll try to honor that in my smallest moments and biggest moments, day to day.
I have thousands of memories that flash through my mind and make me smile.... Rosemary had a way with kids. She got me (a very picky kid) to try coconut milk straight from a coconut once even though I had no plans on even getting near it. She taught me how to prune a plant and grow a cutting. She answered all of my questions with patience and respect. She celebrated my every small achievement. She taught me how to take a moment before answering a question and really consider what I was going to say. She provided a world of children's books and a cozy place to read in the sun to foster my love of reading. She always made me feel special. I will miss her, and I sure hope that I have a chance to touch as many lives as Rosemary did.
No comments:
Post a Comment