Before becoming a parent, I had a lot more opinions on parenting. Since being able to tie experience to some of those schools of thought, I've developed more concrete opinions for my self, and less opinions about what I think OTHER people should do. And I understand why other parents do the things they do, even if I chose to do something else.
Tonight was one of those times that I thought, "THATS why other parents do that!". One of my opinionated thoughts was that it was important to, as often as possible, serve a hot, healthy, balanced dinner. That even if my son refuses dinner or a certain food, that I would not start making a seperate meal for him.
And up to this point, its been easy to do that. My little guy has been willing to try new foods, generally likes things of the green and yellow/orange variety, even eats tofu. Then, along came toddlerhood. One day, he asks for more brocolli, and the next, no way will he eat it. Can't get enough sweet potatoes one week, and can't stand them the next. He even went on a toast strike! Who doesn't like toast?!
Tonight, by the time I had prepared dinner, we were both quite hungry. Z manages to get a few bites in before it becomes more game than meal. Eventually, I manage to get a few more bites in by singing to him, giving him bites in between "EE-I-EE-I-O's". Considering the night before, he ate exactly one half of one bite of dinner, I consider this a success.
Suddenly, I hear a small growl coming from my own empty tummy. My body's meager attempt to say, hey lady, look over there - look! A plate of food just for you! Meanwhile, little man has decided now that he is done, he is ready to get down. I get up, get a washcloth and clean up his beautiful face, hands, arms, bare tummy (we've taken to shirtless dinners, well, for the little guy anyway, since the adventures of self feeding), shoulders, hair and ears. I let him down, wipe down the highchair and floor beneath. I finally return to my plate to dive in to my cold dinner. I get interrupted a couple times, but I eat.
A tiny part of me thought, why bother? Why not go with a dinner that I could throw out a toddler sized plate of food of and not feel like I just threw away precious time and energy along with it? THIS is why so many kids eat chicken nuggets and french fries every night for a few years straight. NOW, I know why other parents do that....
No comments:
Post a Comment